Individual carbon offsetting – do you want to offset your personal carbon footprint? – We can help!
It is accepted that atmospheric carbon dioxide is a potent green house gas. This means that it is a major contributor to climate change and global warming. Since the Industrial Revolution, the concentration of carbon dioxide in the atmosphere has increased by 40% and many people believe it is time to do whatever we can to limit the increase in carbon dioxide.
One way we can do this is by planting trees. And that is how Make it Wild can help!
As they grow, trees absorb carbon dioxide from the atmosphere. This means they trap it so that it cannot enter the atmosphere.
It has been calculated that one tree can trap 3.7 tonnes of carbon dioxide during its predicted lifetime of 40 years. We will protect and look after our trees, and many will live considerably longer than 40 years. As we are dealing with nature, there may also be some natural losses. At Make it Wild, we plant more trees than might seem necessary, to ensure that ultimately, enough trees will reach maturity.
Perhaps you are conscious of the impact of flights you’ve taken. Maybe you drive long distances, or heat your home with fossil fuels. The best way we can address this is, of course, to make some changes to our lifestyle, and to reduce our use of fossil fuels. But that can be very difficult, and sometimes these things are beyond our control. If you would like to counteract the impact of your lifestyle on the planet, a good way to do this is through planting trees.
If you want to estimate your carbon footprint:
Here some approximate figures in tonnes of carbon dioxide emitted by the following activities:
- a typical long-haul flight per person: 3 tonnes
- ten thousand miles driving in a typical family petrol car: 5 tonnes
- new clothes, accessories per person per year: 1 tonne
- recreation, leisure, entertainment per person per year: 2 tonnes
- heating a typical UK home for a year: 1.5 tonnes
- lighting, household appliances, per person per year: 1.5 tonnes
- eating beef once per day for a year: 2.5 tonnes
If you want to calculate your carbon footprint:
We recommend this carbon calculator for household and travel: http://www.carbon-calculator.org.uk/
We recommend this article, which includes a carbon calculator, for diet: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-46459714
For businesses wishing to offset their carbon footprint, we have designed this product.
Individual Carbon Offsetting with Make it Wild
How does it work?
Simply decide how many tonnes of carbon dioxide you would like to offset. Our price per tonne of carbon dioxide to offset is £4.20. We offer this product in multiples of 5 tonnes of carbon dioxide offset, which is priced at £21.
Once you purchase your carbon offsetting trees, we will:
- plant new trees on your behalf, or assign recently planted trees to you – this depends mainly on the time of year
- send you a certificate which will: confirm how many tonnes of carbon dioxide you have offset, and include a map and an aerial photograph showing the trees we have planted for you
- protect and look after your trees for the foreseeable future, to ensure they reach maturity