Make it Wild are delighted to work with a trusted partner to plant mangrove trees by the thousand, in Kenya.
This is so much more than a tree planting scheme, because our partner works closely with local communities. They work with a network of locals, to ensure that people in need are given meaningful work, a living wage, and support them with health insurance and other benefits.
Mangroves drop their propagules (the equivalent of ‘seeds’) into the ocean. Each one has the potential to grow into a new tree, but very few of them survive, as the vast majority of them get washed into deeper water or land the wrong way up. Our partners in Kenya work with local people who gather the propagules, then check their quality, and count and bundle them up ready for planting. Members of the community are then paid a living wage to plant and look after the mangroves.
To see a film of the mangroves you can dedicate, click here.
What is special about planting mangrove trees?
Here are some of the reasons why it is such an amazing thing to plant mangroves: they…
- are evergreen, and grow all year round, gaining 10-15 cm per year
- stabilize the coastline, protecting it from high tides, tropical storms and tsunamis
- form a peat-like soil, which absorbs rainfall and protects the environment from storm surges, reducing the risk of coastal flooding
- provide meaningful work, helping to eradicate poverty and empower people in the local community
- provide shelter and breeding habitat for fish and marine invertebrates – supporting biodiversity, and food for local people
- grow very quickly and sequester more carbon than conventional forests
- offer nesting area for coastal birds, helping biodiversity
You can buy mangroves in multiples of 15 propagules, or as a bundle of 25.
We will send, by email, a certificate showing a map of the area where your mangroves are planted, and a picture of young mangroves. It will also include your words of dedication, and the number of mangroves.