We know how important it is to find a special location for your loved one’s final resting place.
We are delighted to offer Memorial Trees in Yorkshire, planted with the ashes of a loved one. The trees will grow to become a dedicated Memorial Woodland at Wilsill, in the gorgeous Nidderdale Area of Outstanding Beauty.
Memorial Tree in Yorkshire
Your loved one’s ashes will be incorporated into the compost used to plant a young tree in our special new Memorial Woodland in gorgeous Nidderdale. You will be growing a new life, which will continue as the memorial tree grows. Your memorial tree in Yorkshire will grow and flourish, to remind you and your family forever of your loved one. It’s a wonderful way to give back to the earth, to support a new life, and to enhance nature and the environment.
Our memorial trees are 4 – 5 years old when they are planted. We will make sure they have the necessary protection from rabbits and deer, to grow strong, and support nature and biodiversity for many years to come.
Working with our partners at Life Tree UK, we will ensure that your tree is strong and healthy. Using a specially formulated planting mix*, the ashes of your loved one will be mixed with the compost for planting your tree. Even though your loved one has left this world, they will contribute to a wonderful new life.
To give you an idea of the layout we have planned for the memorial woods, please see our schematic plan here.
Make it Wild are very experienced at tree planting and successful woodland creation. Our first 18,000 trees, planted in 2011, are now a wonderful woodland, Sylvan Nature Reserve. We have more recently created new woodlands at Bank Woods, Dowgill Grange , Dacre Lane and Windmill Hill. To date we have planted more than 60,000 trees in North Yorkshire. We also protect ancient woodland, dig ponds, and restore wild flower meadows.
Trees which we know grow well in Nidderdale include wild cherry, bird cherry, rowan, downy birch, hazel, silver birch and hawthorn. If you would prefer a different native tree, we will try to help.
What we will do
- collect the ashes of your loved one (included at no extra charge for LS postcodes) or arrange to receive them from you
- prepare the specially formulated compost, and incorporate the cremation ashes
- plant a young native woodland tree in the compost mix, in a large biodegradable pouch
- water, feed and take care of the growing tree in the nursery until we are sure it is well established (this may take up to two months)
- plant your tree, on a date of your choice, in its own biodegradable pouch, in our Memorial Woodland in Nidderdale
- welcome you and your family to help us to plant and water the tree, if you wish. Some families read poems or sing songs.
- send you (by email) a certificate confirming the location of the Memorial Tree
- place a wooden plaque by the tree, engraved with words of your choice
- allow you to visit the tree
- maintain and nurture the tree in the Memorial Woodland in perpetuity
Reserving a Plot
If you would like to reserve the plot next to your loved one for another relative, or maybe for yourself when the time comes, you can do so. We will reserve a plot for you so that your memorial tree will be in your chosen place. You can read more about it here. We offer a monthly payment option.
What happens next?
You can purchase your memorial tree in Yorkshire simply by clicking ‘add to basket’ above.
We will then arrange for Joe, our partner from Life Tree Uk to contact you. Please be ready to discuss the following:
- arrangements to collect the ashes of your loved one
- your chosen species of tree
- the words for your plaque
- your chosen date to plant the tree
Joe and the team will then take care of arrangements for your tree.
If you would like to speak to us first, please email email@example.com and let us know how to contact you.