Make it Wild are delighted to work with a trusted partner to plant thousands of mangroves in Kenya.
We can now offer carbon offsetting through mangrove planting.
Mangroves drop their propagules (the equivalent of ‘seeds’) into the ocean. Each one has the potential to grow into a new tree, but very few of them survive, as the vast majority of them get washed into deeper water or land the wrong way up. Our partners in Kenya work with local people to gather the propagules, then check their quality, and count and bundle them up ready for planting. Members of the community are then paid a living wage to plant and look after the mangroves.
You can see some of the mangrove trees Make it Wild have planted, here.
Mangrove forests are one of most carbon dense ecosystems on earth – they are highly efficient at sequestering carbon from the atmosphere, into their timber and roots, and the soils in which they grow.
For more information about carbon offsetting through mangrove planting, please read here.
What else is special about mangrove trees?
Here are some of the reasons mangroves are important: they…
- are evergreen, and grow all year round, gaining 10-15 cm per year
- stabilize the coastline, protecting it from high tides, tropical storms and tsunamis
- form a peat-like soil, which absorbs rainfall and protects the environment from storm surges, reducing the risk of coastal flooding
- provide meaningful work, helping to eradicate poverty and empower people in the local community
- provide shelter and breeding habitat for fish and marine invertebrates – supporting biodiversity, and food for local people
- offer nesting area for coastal birds, helping biodiversity
What Happens when I buy Carbon Offsetting through Mangrove Planting?
We will send you, by email, a certificate showing how many tonnes of carbon dioxide you have offset. It will also include a map of the area where your mangroves are planted, and a picture of young mangroves.
If you need to offset more than 5 or 10 tonnes, please simply increase the number at checkout.
If you are buying this as a gift, please note any words of dedication in the ‘Notes’ section at checkout.