Sponsor a nest box in one of our Make it Wild Nature Reserves!
All woodland birds are struggling, because their natural habitat is often destroyed or degraded as humans take up more and more space for development. A nest box can provide them with a cosy roost during the winter and crucially, a safe place to raise their young in spring and summer.
During the summer of 2022, we made and put up another 20 boxes on trees among our woodland at Windmill Hill.
At our partner site Covenhope Reserve, nr Hingham, Norfolk, a dozen wildlife boxes were put up in 2022. As at other Make it Wild locations, the boxes are popular (there is a housing waiting list… blue tits commandeered the wooden post at the site entrance). More boxes will be put up in the summer of 2023.
At our partner site in the Peak District, Rowan Tree Farm, there are eight bird boxes, put up during autumn 2023.
Our boxes are made according to RSPB instructions, and situated using their advice. We typically find over 80% of our boxes are occupied by breeding birds, usually great tits and blue tits, but we also regularly find breeding pied flycatchers and nuthatches. You can read our results in detail here.
When you sponsor a nest box, you are supporting our work, not only in making and putting them up, but also the important maintenance, monitoring and cleaning out that we do every year.
If you would like to sponsor a nest box:
- choose your location
- decide whether to sponsor for one season or ongoing
- let us know the words you would like on your certificate
- if you want to sponsor on an ongoing basis, you will pay immediately for the first year, and you will need to complete a Direct Debit instruction to enable payment for future years
Sponsor a Nest Box: What you will get
- A personalised certificate of sponsorship, with your chosen wording, via email
- The certificate includes a photograph of birds using one of our nest boxes
- The knowledge that you have supported our work in maintaining, monitoring and cleaning our nest boxes
- The satisfaction of creating a precious habitat for woodland bird species
- Sponsorship of one nest box for one breeding season – or ongoing
- For ongoing sponsorships we will email you a new photo from inside a next box each year
(please note you will not ‘own’ the box)