Losing a loved one can be a sad and distressing time. Finding a special location for your loved one’s final resting place can be an important part of healing. We are delighted to offer Memorial Trees in Yorkshire, which together will grow to become a dedicated Memorial Woodland at Wilsill, in the gorgeous Nidderdale Area of Outstanding Beauty.
Memorial Tree in Yorkshire
Your loved one’s ashes will be used to plant a young tree in our special new Memorial Woodland in gorgeous Nidderdale. You will be growing a new life, with those you cherished the most. Life continues as the memorial tree grows.
Our memorial trees are around 2 metres tall when they are planted. We will make sure they have the necessary protection from rabbits and deer, to grow strong, and support nature and biodiversity for many years to come.
Your memorial tree in Yorkshire will grow and flourish, to remind you and your family forever of your loved one. This is a wonderful way to give back to the earth, to support a new life, and to enhance nature and the environment.
Working with our partners at Life Tree UK, we will ensure that your Life Tree has everything it needs to grow strong and healthy. Using a specially formulated planting mix*, the ashes of your loved one will be incorporated into the compost for planting your tree. Even though your loved one has left this world, they will contribute to a wonderful new life.
To give you an idea of the layout we have planned for the memorial woods, please see our schematic plan here.
Make it Wild are very experienced at tree planting and successful woodland creation. Our first 18,000 trees, planted in 2011, are now a wonderful woodland, Sylvan Nature Reserve. We have more recently planted thousands of trees at Bank Woods and Dowgill Grange. To date we have planted more than 50,000 trees in North Yorkshire. We also protect ancient woodland and restore wild flower meadows.
What we will do
- collect the ashes of your loved one (extra charge if more than 50 miles from Leeds)
- prepare the specially formulated compost, and incorporate the cremation ashes
- plant a young native woodland tree in the compost mix, in a large biodegradable pouch
- water, feed and take care of the growing tree until we are sure it is well established (this may take up to two months)
- plant your tree, in its own biodegradable pouch, in our Memorial Woodland in Nidderdale
- send you (by email) a certificate confirming the location of the Memorial Tree
- invite you to join us, to help to plant the tree, if you would like to
- place a plaque by the tree, with words of your choice
- allow you to visit the tree
- maintain and nurture the tree in the Memorial Woodland in perpetuity
What happens next?
You can purchase your memorial tree simply by clicking ‘add to basket’ above. If you would like to speak to us first, please email email@example.com and let us know how to contact you.
We will need to speak to you, to make arrangements to collect the ashes of your loved one. We will also need to discuss which species of tree we should plant for you. Trees which we know grow well in Nidderdale include wild cherry, bird cherry, rowan, downy birch, silver birch and hawthorn.
Finally, we will keep in touch to arrange a suitable date for the tree to be planted in Nidderdale.