Dedicate a Beautiful Veteran Tree
This ‘sponsor a tree’ dedication is a wonderful and unique gift for a special birthday or anniversary or in memory of a loved one.
You may dedicate a veteran tree with or without a personalised wooden plaque which we will have engraved with words of your choice.
A veteran tree is a beautiful and irreplaceable feature of our woodland. These trees are rare and precious, and your dedication will help us to protect them for the future. We are fortunate to have a number of these beautiful old trees at our Bank Woods Nature Reserve. Depending on the species, the tree may be over 150 years old, and some may be over 300 years old! They each support countless fungi, insects and birds.
We have various species of veteran trees available for Dedication, including beech, alder, downy birch and holly. If you would like a particular species of tree, please let us know at the time of ordering and we will do our best!
You can read more about what makes Ancient Woodland so special here.
We have recorded these special trees on the Woodland Trust Ancient Tree Inventory. We will let you know how to access the details of the tree you have dedicated. Some may be described on the inventory as ‘notable’, and some as ‘veteran’ – but all are very old and special trees.
Please note that these veteran trees are, by definition, in the latter stages of their lives. We are committed to protecting them and prolonging their lives as much as we can … however, it is possible that any of these trees may get blown over in a storm, or even die. Fallen veteran trees provide a rich habitat, and in fact, form their own valuable ecosystem. If the tree you have dedicated unfortunately dies or gets blown over, we will leave it exactly where it is, and it will go on providing food and shelter for countless insects and birds. Unfortunately we will not be able offer any refund for the cost of your dedication if this happens.
Included in this dedication
- A beautiful veteran tree, which may be in our wonderful ancient woodland or historic wood pasture at Bank Woods near Summerbridge, in Nidderdale Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty
- Optional: a wooden plaque engraved with words of your choice (£25 extra)
- If you choose to include a plaque, we will send you a photograph of it by email, when it is made
- A link to the details of ‘your’ tree on the Ancient Tree Inventory, which details the precise location of the tree you have dedicated
- A personalised certificate of dedication, by email
- This includes a personalised map showing the location of the tree
- An open invitation to hug the tree you have sponsored during one of our events – see website for dates
- The satisfaction of supporting precious habitat for countless species which rely on ancient trees
- The joy of knowing you are protecting a thing of beauty which has been part of the countryside for many decades
- The knowledge that your support will protect the ancient tree for decades to come
- The pride of ‘doing your bit’ to minimise the impact of climate change, by protecting a tree which will absorb carbon dioxide from the atmosphere
(please note, you will not ‘own’ the tree)